Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Default STS's 'Uptight USA' rant belongs here

This was originally buried in an Off Topic Chat thread, but is very much On Topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTeamSpeedo
I really don't buy into the uptight USA stuff. I have worn brief swimwear all my life and it has never been an issue.
STS

Agree!

In fact, I think wannabe Speedo wearers can be their own worst enemy. They seem to need safety in numbers, perceiving that without it, everybody else at the beach is judging them.

I can't count the number of times I've set up camp at a beach or pool, stripped down to my swim brief, and had guys nearby suddenly strip off their dork shorts to reveal Speedos beneath, once I'd broken the taboo. One can only assume that had I not shown up, they'd still be over-dressed, stewing about the uptight USA.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lap Counter
This was originally buried in an Off Topic Chat thread, but is very much On Topic!

Agree!

In fact, I think wannabe Speedo wearers can be their own worst enemy. They seem to need safety in numbers, perceiving that without it, everybody else at the beach is judging them.

I can't count the number of times I've set up camp at a beach or pool, stripped down to my swim brief, and had guys nearby suddenly strip off their dork shorts to reveal Speedos beneath, once I'd broken the taboo. One can only assume that had I not shown up, they'd still be over-dressed, stewing about the uptight USA.

I agree as well. I've never had a problem either and I've never felt under-dressed while wearing a speedo.

D67
Old 12-13-2014, 01:14 AM

Default So There!

Finally our Eureka moment! Right on guys now go for it-your first resolution for the new year!
Old 12-13-2014, 02:40 AM

Haven't worn anything larger than a speedo on the beach for some time (and most often a bit smaller). The complaints have been few, and far between.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:59 AM

This is along the same idea I had about wearing short running shorts and short cutoff jeans.

I started wearing traditional shorts back in 2011 and I noticed a few other guys started doing the same.

Fast forward to late 2014, I see about 1/2 the guys on a popular jogging trail along the San Francisco waterfront are wearing traditional short shorts. Even plain casual shorts are slowly, but surely going up too!!!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:59 PM

I wera Jeans to a pool party or the beach. It forces me to strip down even when I dont want to or suffer getting a rash from wearing wet jeans. Of course I don't have a confidence issue anymore (and I still love my jeans) but when I first started it was a good trick to force me to don the brief. It is like asking a girl out you gotta man up and just try it.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:31 PM

There are two major problems with saying the US is not speedo savvy.
The first is that is like making a blanket statement about all of Europe. The attitudes and habits of the different areas of the US vary greatly. The areas around the major cities have a whole different way of life than say the farmers in Nebraska. The areas in and around big cities are entirely different that those of small rural farm or cattle communities. Hell, the difference between Los Angeles and San Francisco is unbelievable. Kind of like comparing Paris and London. So any time someone tries to say that all of the US is anti speedo is a true sign of ignorance of the subject by the person saying it. I have lived in this country and worn Speedos since I was out of diapers and never thought about it at all. I never take inventory to see what else anyone is wearing, I just wear what I am comfortable in.
Next, as previously said, I am sick of posers condemning a beach or pool that no one is wearing speedos --- so they don't. If you are truly a speedo wear you will not care what others are wearing. Drop your F___ing shorts and wear what you want to. Keep in mind how many people have stated they don't take off their shorts to show their speedos on this board. They may also be on that beach and will follow suit if you have the balls to wear yours. If you don't have the nerve to wear it in a place where you know absolutely no one you should put your speedos in your underwear drawer and buy a nice pair pf board shorts.
Another approach, of coarse, is to see a therapist and get over your insecurities. You have to be who you are and who you want to be.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:25 PM

PSDave is absolutely right. Wear what you want and don't give a second thought to what anyone else is wearing. People do have the right to wear boardies or square cuts or briefs or jammers without being concerned about the judgment from others.

D67
Old 12-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Still trying to figure out what the problem is here, it has dawned on me that since I have been a speedo wearing swimmer most of my life and don't have any problem or hesitation to wear one, I just don't have the fears others do. I don't know what I'd do if I was afraid to wear a speedo. Maybe I would go to a place where it is common and acceptable. That place would be a swimming pool where actual swimmers go to actually swim. Once I got the hang of that I might not feel awkward being similarly undressed at a beach. Try that.
Now if the fear is about showing skin, maybe you need affirmation that your skin is not to be ashamed of. Unless it is to be ashamed of but I don't want to be a fat shamer.... I encourage people to take care of themselves by eating and exercising. Maybe it's too late but one can always reverse this, or try, with reasonable goals and adequate effort and education. Buddy up and help each other, come on, gimme twenty pushups and fifty situps.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Im with PS Dave... On Thanksgiving I went to redondo beach and I passed more guys in speedos than not (not that there were many to begin with but...) It is pop culture and not the public that is so anti speedo out here. Still I believe that pop culture has influenced society and while I dont care what others wear it annoys me at the lack of variety in available speedos as opposed to boardies out here...