Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bede735
Speedo wearers are a bit like Goths. A type of dress/lifestyle different from the norm. With Goths some people ridicule them or are aggressive to them, but in general are fine with it. Just like Speedos.
The "Norm" for dress is not a law of physics - it's what ever people decide to go along with or they are too chicken to oppose. That's what's wrong with society today.

Most people are just a bunch of sheep and rather not get involved in anything that requires opposition to the so called "norm".
Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 AM

Default Norman

This guy norm seems to have a lot of influence in the dos and don'ts of what we humans have come to wear on various occasions in our evolving societies. I think he must surely have had a hand in developing the speedo out of one of those magnificent male codpieces from the couturiers of the past.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM
Speedo Member

I think spedos were more acceptable when gay rights weren't as prevalent. After it was acceptable for men to be out, straight men had to identify themselves as straight and wearing tight revealing swimsuits was not a good way to do that.

I think baggy suits and poorly dressed men was a backlash against the gay revolution. Its turning the tide back though.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 PM

we heterosexual swimmers get a good laugh at the notion that speedo wearers are gay. It shows how stupid and wrong some people are.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:01 PM

I somewhat agree with Turbofan. Some straight guys were put off wearing briefs fearing to be thought as gay. I hope the tide is turning on board shorts though.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Default Ott

Yes - "bunch of sheep" and "stupid and wrong" both apply . The origins of stereotypical labelling have been much debated in past threads here but my finger still points to the antics in gay pride parades, which seem to leave some straight guys desperate (in their lack of self-confidence*) to demonstrate to their womenfolk and others , in one way or another , "no,no,no - I really could not be one of THEM!"
(which of course in one sense is true)

*the amusing thing being that gays in some cases can now be seen to be more macho than str8s

Last edited by Byron : 07-07-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:29 PM

When gay rights became more prevalent and through no help from the flamboyant guys in the parades, there was an overall trend away from brief suits. But, also of consideration is that the fashion industry dictates what will be popular in any given season. Board shorts worn low on the hips became the style because that was what was promoted by the industry which seized the opportunity to change the styles because of the backlash. Look at ads in print media and online companies now and you see shorter boardies, briefs, and "trunks" which are nothing more than the old boxer suits.

D67
Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM

I always thought with the gay issue it was the other way round, in that straight men wouldn't want to wear very little it case it attracted gays.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Cool

I don't know about that Bede. I've never heard that as a reason straight men don't wear briefs. I always thought straight guys wouldn't wear speedos because they feared others would make the wrong assumption that they were gay.

D67
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM

Default "attracted" ?

Attracted as in a passing glance or by prompting a more in-your-face and embarrassing approach?
(gays are intelligent enough to exercise discretion and not always make utterly superficial choices - though camp chatter will inevitably reinforce that stereotypical image unfortunately).

I am with CD and Dooley on this - the fashion industry and the sheep have always maintained a good working partnership.