Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 02:33 PM

I did warn you that this would become confusing, now it is mired in legal red tape.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 PM

Default Brand Names

This reminds me of my days (long ago) working at the newspaper. We reporters would try our best to get brand names through the copy editors without capitalization: frisbee, dumpster, kleenex, speedo.... Any one of them in print without the capital letter would earn you a friendly letter from the trademark holder's attorney reminding you that the word is a proper noun. They knew they couldn't do anything about it. So the letters were always "friendly" reminders. Unfortunately, the copy editors rarely missed these attempts.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:38 PM

Better change the title -'the reason briefs are stigmatised'!
Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Default good idea....

Linking brief to attorney becomes most appropriate here (neither is trade-marked I hope!)

No doubt a mire of legal red tape has occupied some space on the speedo stigma thread but I for one would like to thank members for their recent enlightening posts.

PS: Brothel-creepers are shorts or shoes??

Last edited by Byron : 07-11-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:21 AM

I seriously doubt that trademarked names would be of concern when used on a casual discussion board such as this one.

Furthermore, taking formal legal action might actually back fire since Speedo probably wouldn't to get public attention by complaining that an "adult site" is promoting their product as an object for erotic and sexual gratification (even through anyone with even poor eyesight knows Speedos are in fact erotic and exciting).
Old 07-12-2014, 06:13 PM

Regardless, the term speedo has surpassed the brand, Like photoshopping, kleenex, coke(in some areas)... As hinted at earlier mush of the stigma is the public assumption that if one goes out of his way to wear a speedo he must be posing or trying to show off and force his body to be more visible and in this society men are supposed to be reserved and not stand out.

Look at other areas of common mainstream male fashion. Most of it is business and work attire. Sure I love my beat up Levi's but a single pair weighs about 20times as much as a womans sundress. It is still workwear. Swimsuits fall into the category of fashion that doesn't have a casual work option (work is a wetsuit) so they design suits to appear like a combination of work and play with pockets, zippers, straps & bold patterns. Additionally images of women in bikinis are so prevalent in today's society that people just assume that is a garment that represents feminimity and thus shouldn't be worn by a man. While womens bikinis are often feminine in nature the solid plain brief/bikini style of suit is androgynous and historically has been worn by men for much longer in current society. Even in ancient rome the subligaria had a similar male counterpart...
Old 07-13-2014, 02:35 AM

Default Roman subligar

(female garment subligaria) (not trademarked I believe)
https://p.gr-assets.com/540x540/fit/...39/6921490.jpg
Yes indeed (pic for males from movie set).
Novice combatants would start with a white cloth but later be awarded red (for blood) if having proved themselves and pleased the crowd in the arena.

Last edited by Byron : 07-13-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:07 AM

The male counterpart was known as the Perizoma and yes they lookred exactly like the above picture...
Old 07-13-2014, 11:12 AM

At my local pool you are as likely to find a woman wearing a bikini as a man wearing briefs ie. not often. Yet bikinis are available everywhere to buy - even in supermarkets.

Of course with swimming costumes are only noticed when entering and leaving the pool, which is a problem for the bikini wearer who wants to be noticed at all times.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:56 PM

Default last year...

saw THREE together at mine - nearly fainted but sighting never repeated.
Each with two triangles and a bandage, make-up and painted nails etc. and
no swimcap would be big enough to contain the hair.
All posing of course - sitting on pool ledge and at most getting wet to the ankles.