Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2015, 09:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Captain.Jammer
Default Proper Care of Gear

I did a search in the forums, so if this is already addressed, I guess I didn't search for the right term.

I am wondering about the proper care for gear.. let me explain.

Even though I have been collecting swimwear for a while, I am very new to swimming. In fact I have only completed my second lesson last week. (No, I never did have lessons as a kid. So, I am starting from square one.) Well, I did try taking lessons some time ago, but it was a group lesson at a community center, and I really got nothing from those lessons. This time, I am taking private lessons. I am also practicing at the gym pool between lessons.

For those that do not know from my other posts, or have forgotten, because I am quite overweight and have a hairy back, for personal comfort and self-image protection, I wear jammers and a rashguard for my swimming activities. Pics below are of this gear I took some time ago.

I would guess, between my current use, and then the group lessons and practice some time ago, maybe this gear has been worn in the pool less than 50 times.

The jammers seem to be fine, although either I am losing weight, or they are starting to stretch out a little-- it seems they are not nearly as snug as they used to be.

But my rashguard.. a BodyGlove brand, I noticed just the other day at the gym while in the shower, after taking off my gear, there is an area on the back that looks slightly a different color than the rest of the material, and that portion is loose and baggy.. and that affected area seems to be surrounded with an "edge" of little white "threads".

I figured that maybe when trying to take off the rashguard.. because it is much more stretchy and clingy than the jammers, I might have grabbed the material to pull it off, and might have overstretched the spandex fibers??
Or was it that I went into the jacuzzi and had a jet aimed at that part of my back for a while? I think I have heard that heat can do that to spandex, too.

I want my gear to last as long as possible, so I am wondering if the above caused the issue or if it is just the way I care for the gear.. or is it just use and age? ... because now I have noticed a smaller area on the front of the rash guard that looks like the huge area on the back.

Here is my typical care of my gear:
  • I put on the gear while my body is pretty much dry.
  • I am careful to hold the fabric bunched up and release it as pull it on, as opposed to holding it from one end and just letting the rest drag behind.
  • I usually take a shower in the gear before going into the pool.
  • Then after swimming, I will rinse off the gear while on me in the shower,
  • then take off the gear,
  • then rinse it again holding it up to the shower water. (I use water that is rather warm but not scorching hot).
  • Then I squeeze the gear starting at one end, working to the other, to get rid of excess water (I do not wring the gear),
  • then I hang the gear over the side of the shower stall while I take my shower.
  • Then I use the SuitMate dryer to dry the gear more.
  • Then once I am dressed, I roll the gear up in my towel for the drive home.
  • Once I get home, I hang the gear up on an indoor clothesline in the basement to finish drying, until I pack it up for the next use.

Are there any flaws in what I am doing? Is there something different I should be doing?
The biggest challenge, as I mentioned, is getting the rash guard off. Sometimes I just cannot get a good enough grip on it to pull it off carefully.
I don't know that anyone here even uses a rashguard, but I am hoping for any pointers.

Also, how long should I realistically expect swim gear to last? I am going in the pool an average of maybe 3-4 times a week, right now, for usually only up to about 45 minutes, max, each time.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your feedback!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg body-glove-rashgard-left.jpg (55.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Sporti-Flash-Piped-Splice-Jammer-purple-right.jpg (38.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Captain.Jammer : 12-14-2015 at 10:13 PM.