Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 12:37 PM

Default from 3 inches side seam to 2 inches speedo

Is it possible to lower a 3 inch side seam speedo brief to a 2 inches side seam. If [ossible how to do it.
Can a professional tailor do it.
Has anyone try d.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 PM

I have had several suits cut down to 2" sides. Starting with 3 or 4", I had my tailor cut them down and they are great. He had me try them on to mark them to be sure the fit would be correct for a 2" suit. (I took some in as examples) The fitting is important since 2" and 4" suits are cut different so the tailor needs to compensate when he cuts it off. Just to wack off a couple inches all around won't end up with the proper fit - usually the back. The key is to make sure your tailor has the proper machine for stretch fabrics. (You can also go to a dress maker, or lengerie maker)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 AM

Default pre-made 2 inch suits?

Are there makers of briefs with 2 inch sides? Most are 3 inches, and I know there are 1 inch briefs like the Speedo-brand "Solar" suits. I went to stores and most are 3 inch sides.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 AM

Default I'll be brief...

Yes, they can be found but rare now.
(Torchwatch should come in here).
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM

JamesSwim - most suits today are about 3" on the sides. Some water polo suits are briefer - monsterpolo sells suits of about 2.5", and the Turbo I bought recently is 2.25". Note that polo suits are usually made of a somewhat thicker, heavier fabric. Some sellers offer "Sporti' suits that are also 2.25", and are more like the lycra suits that Speedo and TYR sell.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Classic European swim briefs tend to have 2" sides while a 3" side is preferred in the USA. These were intended for use in club swimming and training by swimmers of all ages and abilities in front of families and spectators, they were accepted as being of decent cut by swimming officials worldwide.
Somewhere between 2" and 1" and suit changes name from a swim brief to a swim bikini. The 1" suits are a bit more daring and less acceptable for the club training/racing circuit, more suited to private pools and the beach.

To reduce a 3" suit to 2" you have to cut away either the waist or the leg elastic. Cutting away the waist elastic creates a low waisted suit (Japanese style), while cutting away the leg elastic produces a high cut suit. It is your choice.

You will need 12mm (!/2") elastic of replacement waist elastic and 6mm (1/4") elastic for leg elastic. The original elastic cannot be reused.
If you are cutting off the waist elastic cut just inside the fabric under the original waist elastic, although this is only 1/2" lower you will lose another 1/2" of fabric when you fold it in the hide the new elastic.
Working out how much fabric to cut off with the leg elastic is more difficult, you may also wish to alter the style of the suit.
You will need an overlocker to sew the new elastic onto the edge of the suit and after folding the elastic in (and returned the waist string into position) a sewing machine to sew the fold closed.

It is a lot of hard work and easier to buy the suit you wanted in the first place or to make a suit from scratch using a paper pattern to a design you like.

Last edited by Torchwatch : 10-04-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 PM

Default excellent...

Have to agree - a hell of a lot of trouble to maybe ruin what was well made in the first place, and then perhaps not be satisfied with the result.
Btw look out for 5cm - that is the 2" you require and so much on the market is sized metrically.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 AM

Default cut down

Not the Olympics and a bit of digital manipulation I think we can say for this well known diver: http://swimmerie.tumblr.com/image/30093827186
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Default from.......

Well explained Torchwatch, we hereby name you as official taylor of our board.
And yes byron manipulation indeed.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:49 PM

The sides on my turbos look to be about 2 inches, thats another reason I like them so much.