Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More  

Go Back   Speedo Fantasy Board - Mens Swim Suit Board - Briefs, Bikinis, and More > Mens Swim Suit Forums > General Mens Swim Suit Guy Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Default Boxing Day/New Year swims

Has anyone gone swimming in the sea at this time of year? Where I live in North East England they are very popular. I've not participated myself though I may do next time. Obviously the weather and sea is very cold, but I would certainly wear a pair of Speedos, despite fancy dress being an option which tends to lead to people wearing too much clothing .
Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 PM

One year I went down to Hastings and eventually had a paddle although it would be an exaggeration to say I actually swam.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:25 AM

I went down to the beach like Ive done quite a bit the month of December only to not swim. It was too chilly! Swam on Christmas Eve & both saturday and sunday before christmas (and last sun too). but New years was 2 things. Cold and Crowded. It was so warm on Christmas eve I was in the water after dark!
Old 01-03-2015, 02:43 PM

So if you're to have a quick dip in cold water, is it better to be fully clothed or unclothed? I can see clothes will keep you warmer when waiting around to jump in, but once in cold water I'm not sure they'd provide any benefit, and I would think on leaving the water you'd feel worse with cold garments sticking to you.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 PM

Talking

Never having swum in the ocean in winter, I have no experience but I would bet that it's better to not be fully clothed when getting out of the water. And rest assured that I will continue to not take a dip in the ocean in winter. Here in Maine, ocean water is in the high 30's to low 40's in winter, maybe into the low 60's in summer.

D67
Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 AM

High thirties? Positively warm
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Permitted male nudity

The guy in this video clip is wearing a G-string which under normal circumstances would be regarded as extremely provocative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CivphkeEHM8

A glance through other videos of these Christmas swims show other example of males wearing thongs/mankinis.

It would appear that because there is a fancy dress option it is acceptable to where this type of costume, because it is seen as 'humorous'.

Curiously, there appears to be no examples of women wearing thongs/G-strings - perhaps because to them these are not humorous, and conversely a situation like this for a women would be seen as provocative.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Well, it's getting closer. New Year's Day at my local beach. Starting to make preparations, by immersing myself in cold bath water recently.

What to wear though? Obviously a thick coat initially, but will wear a Karrimor sleeveless vest underneath, which will keep the upper body reasonably warm, but not the arms. The coat to be removed while standing around on the beach. Will wear tracksuit bottoms, to be removed next, to strip down to a black pair of Hom microbriefs - probably. Not sure how easy that be would be considering most people enter the water full clothed, and there are also many spectators. But I wouldn't swim in non-swimming gear, and I haven't any swimming costumes which are non-brief. Finally, a pair of sandshoes to be removed at the last possible moment, as I don't fancy standing on cold sand in my bare feet.
Old 12-11-2015, 06:06 PM

Well as it happens the New Year's Day one has been cancelled, but there is one on Boxing Day organised by the North Sea Volunteer Lifeguards. Actually, that's a better day anyway as I do tend to party a bit on New Year's Eve.

Anyway, amazing video of winter swimming in Siberia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJlv9-Uy074

Compared to that, what's the problem?